Last Updated: December 01, 2020
Welcome, and thank you for your interest in Jeeva Informatics Solutions Inc. (“Jeeva,” “we,” or “us”) and our website at www.jeevatrials.com, along with our related websites, networks, cloud-based web-applications, and other services provided by us (collectively, the “Service”). These Terms of Service are a legally binding contract between you and Jeeva regarding your use of the Service.
PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING TERMS CAREFULLY:
Arbitration NOTICE. Except for certain kinds of disputes described in Section 14, you agree that disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved by binding, individual arbitration, and BY ACCEPTING THESE TERMS, YOU AND Jeeva ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN ANY CLASS ACTION OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. YOU AGREE TO GIVE UP YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (except for matters that may be taken to small claims court). Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury. (See Section 14.)
1. Jeeva Service Overview. Jeeva streamlines the start up process and administration of clinical research studies by (i) allowing clinical research study teams to publish information about clinical research studies, recruit participants and communicate with study participants through the Service and (ii) allowing study participants to enroll in clinical research studies and participate in such clinical research studies through their personal devices.
2. Eligibility. You must be at least 18-years old to use the Service. By agreeing to these Terms, you represent and warrant to us that: (a) you are at least 18-years old or have been authorized to use the Service by your parent or legal guardian who is at least 18 years of age and has entered into these Terms on your behalf; (b) you have not previously been suspended or removed from the Service; and (c) your registration and your use of the Service is in compliance with any and all applicable laws and regulations. If you are an entity, organization, or company, the individual accepting these Terms on your behalf represents and warrants that they have authority to bind you to these Terms and you agree to be bound by these Terms.
3. Accounts and Registration. To access most features of the Service, you must register for an account. When you register for an account, you may be required to provide us with some information about yourself. You agree that the information you provide to us is accurate and that you will keep it accurate and up to date at all times. When you register, you will be asked to create your own password. You are solely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your account and password, and you accept responsibility for all activities that occur under your account. If you are an administrator of a clinical research study and believe that your account is no longer secure, then you must immediately notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a participant in a clinical research student, then please contact the administrator of the clinical research study.
4.1 Limited License. Subject to your complete and ongoing compliance with these Terms, Jeeva grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable, revocable license to access and use the Service.
4.2 License Restrictions. Except and solely to the extent such a restriction is impermissible under applicable law, you may not: (a) reproduce, distribute, publicly display, or publicly perform the Service; (b) make modifications to the Service; or (c) interfere with or circumvent any feature of the Service, including any security or access control mechanism. If you are prohibited under applicable law from using the Service, you may not use it.
4.3 Feedback. If you choose to provide input and suggestions regarding problems with or proposed modifications or improvements to the Service (“Feedback”), then you hereby grant Jeeva an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, fully-paid, royalty-free right to exploit the Feedback in any manner and for any purpose, including to improve the Service and create other products and services.
5. Ownership; Proprietary Rights. The Service is owned and operated by Jeeva. The visual interfaces, graphics, design, compilation, information, data, computer code (including source code or object code), products, software, services, and all other elements of the Service (“Materials”) provided by Jeeva are protected by intellectual property and other laws. All Materials included in the Service are the property of Jeeva or its third-party licensors. Except as expressly authorized by Jeeva, you may not make use of the Materials. Jeeva reserves all rights to the Materials not granted expressly in these Terms.
6. E-Signatures. Jeeva may allow you to sign documents electronically through the Service. By using such feature, you are solely responsible for obtaining all necessary rights and authority to sign documents electronically in accordance with all applicable laws. Jeeva is not responsible for determining whether any particular document can be legally formed by electronic signature or whether any electronic signature is valid.
7. Third-Party Terms
7.1 Third-Party Services and Linked Websites. Jeeva may provide tools through the Service that enable you to export information to third-party services. By using one of these tools, you agree that Jeeva may transfer that information to the applicable third-party service. Third-party services are not under Jeeva’s control, and, to the fullest extent permitted by law, Jeeva is not responsible for any third-party service’s use of your exported information. The Service may also contain links to third-party websites. Linked websites are not under Jeeva’s control, and Jeeva is not responsible for their content.
7.2 Third-Party Software. The Service may include or incorporate third-party software components that are generally available free of charge under licenses granting recipients broad rights to copy, modify, and distribute those components (“Third-Party Components”). Although the Service is provided to you subject to these Terms, nothing in these Terms prevents, restricts, or is intended to prevent or restrict you from obtaining Third-Party Components under the applicable third-party licenses or to limit your use of Third-Party Components under those third-party licenses.
8. Prohibited Conduct. BY USING THE SERVICE, YOU AGREE NOT TO:
a. use the Service for any illegal purpose or in violation of any local, state, national, or international law;
b. violate, or encourage others to violate, any right of a third party, including by infringing or misappropriating any third-party intellectual property right;
c. interfere with security-related features of the Service, including by: (a) disabling or circumventing features that prevent or limit use or copying of any content; or (b) reverse engineering or otherwise attempting to discover the source code of any portion of the Service except to the extent that the activity is expressly permitted by applicable law;
d. interfere with the operation of the Service or any user’s enjoyment of the Service, including by: (i) uploading or otherwise disseminating any virus, adware, spyware, worm, or other malicious code; (ii) making any unsolicited offer or advertisement to another user of the Service; (iii) collecting personal information about another user or third party without consent; or (iv) interfering with or disrupting any network, equipment, or server connected to or used to provide the Service;
e. perform any fraudulent activity including impersonating any person or entity, claiming a false affiliation, accessing any other Service account without permission, or falsifying your age or date of birth;
f. sell or otherwise transfer the access granted under these Terms or any Materials or any right or ability to view, access, or use any Materials; or
g. attempt to do any of the acts described in this Section 8 or assist or permit any person in engaging in any of the acts described in this Section 8.
9. Modification of Terms. We reserve the right to change these Terms on a going-forward basis at any time. Please check these Terms periodically for changes. If a change to these Terms materially modifies your rights or obligations, we may require that you accept the modified Terms in order to continue to use the Service. Material modifications are effective upon your acceptance of the modified Terms. Immaterial modifications are effective upon publication. Except as expressly permitted in this Section 9, these Terms may be amended only by a written agreement signed by authorized representatives of the parties to these Terms. Disputes arising under these Terms will be resolved in accordance with the version of these Terms that was in effect at the time the dispute arose.
10. Term, Termination, and Modification of the Service
10.1 Term. These Terms are effective beginning when you accept the Terms or first download, install, access, or use the Service, and ending when terminated as described in Section 10.2.
10.2 Termination. If you violate any provision of these Terms, your authorization to access the Service and these Terms automatically terminate immediately upon such first violation. In addition, Jeeva may, at its sole discretion, terminate these Terms or your account on the Service, or suspend or terminate your access to the Service, at any time for any reason or no reason, with or without notice. If you are a clinical study administrator, then you may terminate your account, the clinical research study and these Terms at any time by contacting customer service at email@example.com. If you are a clinical study participant, then you may terminate your account and these Terms at any time through your account settings or by contacting the administrator of the clinical research trial.
10.3 Effect of Termination. Upon termination of these Terms: (a) your license rights will terminate and you must immediately cease all use of the Service; (b) you will no longer be authorized to access your account or the Service; and (c) Sections 2, 3, 4.2, 4.3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10.3, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 will survive.
10.4 Modification of the Service. Jeeva reserves the right to modify or discontinue the Service at any time (including by limiting or discontinuing certain features of the Service), temporarily or permanently, without notice to you. Jeeva will have no liability for any change to the Service or any suspension or termination of your access to or use of the Service.
11. Indemnity. To the fullest extent permitted by law, you are responsible for your use of the Service, and you will defend and indemnify Jeeva, its affiliates and their respective shareholders, directors, managers, members, officers, employees, consultants, and agents (together, the “Jeeva Entities”) from and against every claim brought by a third party, and any related liability, damage, loss, and expense, including attorneys’ fees and costs, arising out of or connected with: (a) your unauthorized use of, or misuse of, the Service; (b) your violation of any portion of these Terms, any representation, warranty, or agreement referenced in these Terms, or any applicable law or regulation; (c) your violation of any third-party right, including any intellectual property right or publicity, confidentiality, other property, or privacy right; or (d) any dispute or issue between you and any third party. We reserve the right, at our own expense, to assume the exclusive defense and control of any matter otherwise subject to indemnification by you (without limiting your indemnification obligations with respect to that matter), and in that case, you agree to cooperate with our defense of those claims.
12. Disclaimers; No Warranties
12.1 THE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ON AN “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS. Jeeva DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, RELATING TO THE SERVICE AND ALL MATERIALS AND CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE, INCLUDING: (a) ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT; AND (b) ANY WARRANTY ARISING OUT OF COURSE OF DEALING, USAGE, OR TRADE. Jeeva DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICE OR ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE, OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT OFFERED THROUGH THE SERVICE, WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR FREE OF ERRORS, VIRUSES, OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS, AND Jeeva DOES NOT WARRANT THAT ANY OF THOSE ISSUES WILL BE CORRECTED.
12.2 NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED BY YOU FROM THE SERVICE OR Jeeva ENTITIES OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT AVAILABLE THROUGH THE SERVICE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY REGARDING ANY OF THE Jeeva ENTITIES OR THE SERVICE THAT IS NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS. WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE THAT MAY RESULT FROM THE SERVICE AND YOUR DEALING WITH ANY OTHER SERVICE USER. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT YOU USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE AT YOUR OWN DISCRETION AND RISK, AND THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO ANY OF YOUR PROPERTIES (INCLUDING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEMS, NETWORKS, OR MOBILE DEVICE USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE SERVICE) OR ANY LOSS OF DATA, INCLUDING USER CONTENT.
12.3 THE LIMITATIONS, EXCLUSIONS, AND DISCLAIMERS IN THIS SECTION 12 APPLY TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Jeeva does not disclaim any warranty or other right that Jeeva is prohibited from disclaiming under applicable law.
13. Limitation of Liability
13.1 TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, IN NO EVENT WILL THE Jeeva ENTITIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES (INCLUDING DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, OR ANY OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSS) ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO YOUR ACCESS TO OR USE OF, OR YOUR INABILITY TO ACCESS OR USE, THE SERVICE OR ANY MATERIALS OR CONTENT ON THE SERVICE, WHETHER BASED ON WARRANTY, CONTRACT, TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), STATUTE, OR ANY OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND WHETHER OR NOT ANY Jeeva ENTITY HAS BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE.
13.2 EXCEPT AS PROVIDED IN SECTION 14.6 AND TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, THE AGGREGATE LIABILITY OF THE Jeeva ENTITIES TO YOU FOR ALL CLAIMS ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO THE USE OF OR ANY INABILITY TO USE ANY PORTION OF THE SERVICE OR OTHERWISE UNDER THESE TERMS, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, TORT, OR OTHERWISE, IS LIMITED TO US$100.
13.3 EACH PROVISION OF THESE TERMS THAT PROVIDES FOR A LIMITATION OF LIABILITY, DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTIES, OR EXCLUSION OF DAMAGES IS INTENDED TO AND DOES ALLOCATE THE RISKS BETWEEN THE PARTIES UNDER THESE TERMS. THIS ALLOCATION IS AN ESSENTIAL ELEMENT OF THE BASIS OF THE BARGAIN BETWEEN THE PARTIES. EACH OF THESE PROVISIONS IS SEVERABLE AND INDEPENDENT OF ALL OTHER PROVISIONS OF THESE TERMS. THE LIMITATIONS IN THIS SECTION 13 WILL APPLY EVEN IF ANY LIMITED REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
14. Dispute Resolution and Arbitration
14.1 Generally. In the interest of resolving disputes between you and Jeeva in the most expedient and cost effective manner, and except as described in Section 14.2 and 14.4, you and Jeeva agree that every dispute arising in connection with these Terms will be resolved by binding arbitration. Arbitration is less formal than a lawsuit in court. Arbitration uses a neutral arbitrator instead of a judge or jury, may allow for more limited discovery than in court, and can be subject to very limited review by courts. Arbitrators can award the same damages and relief that a court can award. This agreement to arbitrate disputes includes all claims arising out of or relating to any aspect of these Terms, whether based in contract, tort, statute, fraud, misrepresentation, or any other legal theory, and regardless of whether a claim arises during or after the termination of these Terms. YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT, BY ENTERING INTO THESE TERMS, YOU AND Jeeva ARE EACH WAIVING THE RIGHT TO A TRIAL BY JURY OR TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION.
14.2 Exceptions. Despite the provisions of Section 14.1, nothing in these Terms will be deemed to waive, preclude, or otherwise limit the right of either party to: (a) bring an individual action in small claims court; (b) pursue an enforcement action through the applicable federal, state, or local agency if that action is available; (c) seek injunctive relief in a court of law in aid of arbitration; or (d) to file suit in a court of law to address an intellectual property infringement claim.
14.3 Arbitration Opt-Out. If you do not wish to resolve disputes by binding arbitration, you may opt out of the provisions of this Section 14 within 30 days after the date that you agree to these Terms by sending a letter to Jeeva Informatics Solutions Inc., Attention: Legal Department – Arbitration Opt-Out, 8609 Westwood Center Dr. #110, Tysons Corner, VA 22182 that specifies: your full legal name, the email address associated with your account on the Service, and a statement that you wish to opt out of arbitration (“Arbitration Opt-Out Notice”). Once Jeeva receives your Arbitration Opt-Out Notice, this Section 14 will be void and any action arising out of these Terms will be resolved as set forth in Section 16.2. The remaining provisions of these Terms will not be affected by your Arbitration Opt-Out Notice.
14.4 Arbitrator. Any arbitration between you and Jeeva will be settled under the Federal Arbitration Act and administered by the American Arbitration Association (“AAA”) under its Consumer Arbitration Rules (collectively, “AAA Rules”) as modified by these Terms. The AAA Rules and filing forms are available online at www.adr.org, by calling the AAA at +1-800-778-7879, or by contacting Jeeva. The arbitrator has exclusive authority to resolve any dispute relating to the interpretation, applicability, or enforceability of this binding arbitration agreement.
14.5 Notice of Arbitration; Process. A party who intends to seek arbitration must first send a written notice of the dispute to the other party by certified U.S. Mail or by Federal Express (signature required) or, only if that other party has not provided a current physical address, then by electronic mail (“Notice of Arbitration”). Jeeva’s address for Notice of Arbitration is: Jeeva Informatics Solutions Inc., 8609 Westwood Center Dr. #110, Tysons Corner, VA 22182. The Notice of Arbitration must: (a) describe the nature and basis of the claim or dispute; and (b) set forth the specific relief sought (“Demand”). The parties will make good faith efforts to resolve the claim directly, but if the parties do not reach an agreement to do so within 30 days after the Notice of Arbitration is received, you or Jeeva may commence an arbitration proceeding. All arbitration proceedings between the parties will be confidential unless otherwise agreed by the parties in writing. During the arbitration, the amount of any settlement offer made by you or Jeeva must not be disclosed to the arbitrator until after the arbitrator makes a final decision and award, if any. If the arbitrator awards you an amount higher than the last written settlement amount offered by Jeeva in settlement of the dispute prior to the award, Jeeva will pay to you the higher of: (a) the amount awarded by the arbitrator and (b) US$10,000.
14.6 Fees. If you commence arbitration in accordance with these Terms, Jeeva will reimburse you for your payment of the filing fee, unless your claim is for more than US$10,000, in which case the payment of any fees will be decided by the AAA Rules. Any arbitration hearing will take place at a location to be agreed upon in Fairfax County, Virginia, but if the claim is for US $10,000 or less, you may choose whether the arbitration will be conducted: (a) solely on the basis of documents submitted to the arbitrator; (b) through a non-appearance based telephone hearing; or (c) by an in-person hearing as established by the AAA Rules in the county (or parish) of your billing address. If the arbitrator finds that either the substance of your claim or the relief sought in the Demand is frivolous or brought for an improper purpose (as measured by the standards set forth in Federal Rule of Civil Procedure 11(b)), then the payment of all fees will be governed by the AAA Rules. In that case, you agree to reimburse Jeeva for all monies previously disbursed by it that are otherwise your obligation to pay under the AAA Rules. Regardless of the manner in which the arbitration is conducted, the arbitrator must issue a reasoned written decision sufficient to explain the essential findings and conclusions on which the decision and award, if any, are based. The arbitrator may make rulings and resolve disputes as to the payment and reimbursement of fees or expenses at any time during the proceeding and upon request from either party made within 14 days of the arbitrator’s ruling on the merits.
14.7 No Class Actions. YOU AND Jeeva AGREE THAT EACH MAY BRING CLAIMS AGAINST THE OTHER ONLY IN YOUR OR ITS INDIVIDUAL CAPACITY AND NOT AS A PLAINTIFF OR CLASS MEMBER IN ANY PURPORTED CLASS OR REPRESENTATIVE PROCEEDING. Further, unless both you and Jeeva agree otherwise, the arbitrator may not consolidate more than one person’s claims, and may not otherwise preside over any form of a representative or class proceeding.
14.8 Modifications to this Arbitration Provision. If Jeeva makes any future change to this arbitration provision, other than a change to Jeeva’s address for Notice of Arbitration, you may reject the change by sending us written notice within 30 days of the change to Jeeva’s address for Notice of Arbitration, in which case your account with Jeeva will be immediately terminated and this arbitration provision, as in effect immediately prior to the changes you rejected will survive.
14.9 Enforceability. If Section 14.7 or the entirety of this Section 14 is found to be unenforceable, or if Jeeva receives an Opt-Out Notice from you, then the entirety of this Section 14 will be null and void and, in that case, the exclusive jurisdiction and venue described in Section 16.2 will govern any action arising out of or related to these Terms.
15. Privacy and Information Security
15.3 Use of Aggregated Data. You acknowledge and agree that Jeeva may collect, create, process, transmit, store, use, and disclose non-identifiable aggregated and/or de-identified data derived from Data or use of the Services (“Aggregated Data”) for its business purposes, including for industry analysis, benchmarking, and analytics.
15.4 Compliance. You are solely responsible (a) for Data as entered into, supplied, accessed, or used by you and (b) for complying with any privacy and data protection laws and regulations applicable to Data or your use of the Services. You represent and warrant that you have collected the Data in accordance with applicable regulations and laws and you have obtained and will maintain all rights, consents, and authorizations required to grant Jeeva the rights and licenses set forth in Section 15 and to enable Jeeva to exercise its rights under the same without violation or infringement of the rights of any third party. You hereby agree that Jeeva has no responsibility to collect any consent or authorization from a Data subject that may be required by applicable law.
15.5 Disclaimer. You agree to waive, and do waive, any legal or equitable right or remedy you have or may have against Jeeva with respect to Data to the maximum extent permitted by law. You are solely responsible for the storage and retention of Data that you send or receive through the Service in accordance with all applicable laws. Jeeva will not be responsible or liable for your inability to access Data through the Service.
16.2 Governing Law. These Terms are governed by the laws of the State of Virginia without regard to conflict of law principles. You and Jeeva submit to the personal and exclusive jurisdiction of the state courts and federal courts located within Fairfax County, Virginia for resolution of any lawsuit or court proceeding permitted under these Terms. We operate the Service from our offices in Virginia, and we make no representation that Materials included in the Service are appropriate or available for use in other locations.
16.3 Additional Terms. Your use of the Service is subject to all additional terms, policies, rules, or guidelines applicable to the Service or certain features of the Service that we may post on or link to from the Service (the “Additional Terms”). All Additional Terms are incorporated by this reference into, and made a part of, these Terms.
16.5 Contact Information. The Service is offered by Jeeva Informatics Solutions Inc., located at 8609 Westwood Center Dr. #110, Tysons Corner, VA 22182. You may contact us by sending correspondence to that address or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
16.6 Notice to California Residents. If you are a California resident, under California Civil Code Section 1789.3, you may contact the Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs in writing at 1625 N. Market Blvd., Suite S-202, Sacramento, California 95834, or by telephone at +1-800-952-5210 in order to resolve a complaint regarding the Service or to receive further information regarding use of the Service.
16.7 No Support. We are under no obligation to provide support for the Service. In instances where we may offer support, the support will be subject to published policies.
16.8 International Use. The Service is intended for visitors located within the United States. We make no representation that the Service is appropriate or available for use outside of the United States. Access to the Service from countries or territories or by individuals where such access is illegal is prohibited.